Man withdraws money from the ATMThis is the last post in a series of articles discussing the potential impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on child support obligations in Las Vegas, Nevada. My previous post addressed the concept of underemployment on child support calculations. If a Judge determines that you have chosen to take a job paying less than what you are otherwise capable of earning for the purpose of paying less child support, they will not likely grant your request for a reduction in payments. The long-term impacts of the pandemic on employment and wages are still unknown. My office is ready to assist those who have been negatively affected. If you need assistance with a COVID-related child support modification, contact us to schedule a consultation.

This series discussed the following issues:

If you have been laid off or experienced lost income due to the pandemic, it is important to understand how your support obligations may be impacted. First, while the Court does not normally modify child support payments based on temporary income fluctuations, they will likely consider drastic changes in income related to COVID as a reason to approve a temporary support modification. Second, the Court will, however, continue to monitor a family’s situation to ensure that obligations are returned to pre-pandemic levels as parents return to work and wages increase. Third, for parents who are in this situation, it is important to understand how to seek a modification through the Court. Consulting with an attorney can help ensure compliance with all legal requirements. Finally, voluntary unemployment or underemployment for the purpose of skirting one’s child support obligations will not be viewed favorably by the Court and will not likely result in a reduction in payments.

My office represents Las Vegas families in a variety of child support modification cases. I take pride in providing the highest level of customer service throughout every case. If you need assistance with a child support issue, contact my office to speak with an attorney.